InBg Chat Room  

Calendar  
<< December 2018 >>

M T W T F S S

In Bulgaria: Forums   

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups    ProfileProfile   ProfileMember List
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Probably a dumb question from a newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Bulgaria Forum Index -> Visas, Passports & Residency
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingcowman
All Grown Up
All Grown Up

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:50 pm 
Post subject: Probably a dumb question from a newbie

Ok .... So we've found the house and are buying it.

Deposit paid, date for completion with the notary is third week of June.

Now what?

I get the buying bit, but what about residency? We won't be living in Bg straight away, but will need to have a car there, house insurance, utilities, bank account ect.

Bank account and utilities are easy enough, but it looks like you need a residency card for car insurance and to register a car. Also with the whole Brexit thing, I'd prefer to register for residency sooner rather than later as we do intend to live in Bg full time, just not yet. Can I do this if not living there full time?

I can trawl the internet to find out, but would appreciate advise from others who have done it and know the practicalities.

Thanks in advance

Bulgariabill
All Grown Up
All Grown Up

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:00 am 
Post subject:

Are you buying as a company or Private purchase? You can visit BG for 90 days on passport regulations, no need for residency, but you can apply for residency at any time,

You say you need a car when you are here, how long will your visits be? If flying over, the the obvious solution is to hire a car, If you drive over you can use your car for 6 months before registering on BG system, If you register it the company name you do not need a residency card and registration does not expire as long as company stays 'alive' if you register in private name then residency is required and if it is your UK car you will surrender UK plates for BG ones

Re Brexit thing, that is still all up in the air, but advice being given is obtain residency before March 2019 and if you are a company purchase retain it.
Gov.UK site may also help
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-bulgaria#brexit-what-you-need-to-know

hope this is some help and sure others will chip in

atticjon
Matured Member
Matured Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:30 pm 
Post subject:

If the British government continues to unfairly randomly expel foreigners in the same way they are now after March 2019, expect to have your house confiscated, your car crushed and to be dumped across the Serbian border in leg irons and stuck in an interment camp for a few years. Probably. Maybe not. Get residency, buy a cheap car and look at it all again when when we have the slightest clue where we stand. Which won't be for a while.  
erehwon
Matured Member
Matured Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:01 pm 
Post subject:

atticjon wrote:
If the British government continues to unfairly randomly expel foreigners in the same way they are now after March 2019, expect to have your house confiscated, your car crushed and to be dumped across the Serbian border in leg irons and stuck in an interment camp for a few years. Probably. Maybe not. Get residency, buy a cheap car and look at it all again when when we have the slightest clue where we stand. Which won't be for a while.

I have already started construction of my 'hidden underground bunker'... Laughing

flyingcowman
All Grown Up
All Grown Up

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:17 am 
Post subject:

I'm buying privately not as a company. The reason for a car is that my father will be spending a fair bit of time in Bg as well, so car hire will start to get expensive. Also, I need to take some things over and as my father is "time rich" he's happy to drive a car and trailer down there for me and has done the trip several times himself over the past few years.

Cheers, Ivan

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:50 am 
Post subject:

In the current uncertain Brexit Climate, buying via a company makes a lot of sense - assuming that you have British nationality. You'll be shielded from the effects of any tit-for-tat nonsense between HMG and the EU, and you can buy vehicles etc via the company. Buying in a personal capacity now doesn't make much sense, since literally no-one knows what the situation will be...

Also be aware that if your father drives a foreign-registered vehicle in the UK with a UK licence and meets a clued-up cop (amazingly, there are more and more of them around, unless you have been burgled/mugged etc Sad ), he'll be in the doo-doo. I know all the "I've done it a million times" malarkey but it's still a no-no, thanks to stupid laws. However, if you find someone you can trust 110%, they can "own" the car and you can drive it in BG and anywhere else in the EU, apart from the UK.

flyingcowman
All Grown Up
All Grown Up

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:18 pm 
Post subject:

The car will be UK registered LHD initially as I plan to buy it here. So not sure what the problem with the police would be?

I've already started the process of buying and in some ways think non company might be best in the circumstances as I might get in (residency wise) before it goes haywire. I can always form a company later if it doesn't work out. To be honest, the way things are going I'm starting to doubt Brexit will happen. Too many influential people don't want it despite the will of the people. We will get to vote on what will be a rubbish deal. They'll take that as a rejection of Brexit I reckon as they will be more clever with the wording this time around.

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:23 pm 
Post subject:

If it's UK registered and you don't transfer it until you're BG resident then you're okay. Best to try to get the original LHD headlights thrown in as well when you buy it, if you can. Wink

If you want to buy property as a legal entity (ie person) and then transfer it to a company later you'll end up paying a bunch of taxes and fees at transfer time, on top of all the ones when you initially buy it. Buying it as a company involves a small extra annual fee (for making annual nil returns) and a much more settled mind, as either way it won't affect you. It's also better when it comes to owning/buying cars etc.

We all have ideas/opinions about what may - or may not - happen re Brexit but I myself prefer to plan for the worst while I'm hoping for the best, albeit my situation is a little different from that of most other members... Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Bulgaria Forum Index -> Visas, Passports & Residency All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1