InBg Chat Room  

Calendar  
<< November 2018 >>

M T W T F S S

In Bulgaria: Forums   

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups    ProfileProfile   ProfileMember List
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi from Norfolk (just over the border from that Suffolk guy)
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Bulgaria Forum Index -> New To ‘In Bulgaria’? Introduce Yourself Here!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingcowman
All Grown Up
All Grown Up

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:41 am 
Post subject:

Thankyou both for your replies.

I fly over tomorrow, so it's a bit late to arrange viewings elsewhere. at least I am forewarned and can challenge them on these things. I do have a couple to look at with another agent too. I will be very wary in light of what I have learned (not that I wasn't already).

Anyone know a good independent English speaking lawyer in the Burgas region?

Cheers, Ivan

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:11 am 
Post subject:

Whatever you do, DON'T buy on your first trip: it's too easy to get carried away by your own enthusiasm and see what might be there rather than what really is. By and large, you'll save a pot of money by buying something that someone else has already over-spent on and renovated before realising their mistake.... Wink

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 am 
Post subject:

PS Keep us posted on how the search is going - it's always interesting to see things through somewhat less jaded eyes.... Cool

mestala
Matured Member
Matured Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 am 
Post subject:

So true Seedy...that's why I did all my own work,and didn't get carried away with luxuries I didn't need.
How are things there?...good I hope Smile

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 am 
Post subject:

Things are fine here, Mestala - the most exciting thing for a while was trotting the oleanders out onto the terrace the other day and then having to bring them all back in again due to the threatened snow in the next day or so (or not!).

Sofia is the same as usual - or again, maybe not since I don't go into town much: for my taste there are too many foreigners in the city complaining that the place they decided to come to live/work in because they couldn't hack it "back home" is too different from the scenes of their lack of success..... Wink

flyingcowman
All Grown Up
All Grown Up

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 am 
Post subject:

My budget is pretty small Seedy, so I'm unlikely to make a killing on someone else's work.

I'll take heed of your words, so I'll see what I see. I have been before but only as a tourist. My father has spent plenty of time in the Yambol region so know a bit more.

My trouble is lack of time to get out at the moment. If I see nothing this time, I'm coming back in May. That might be a better time to actually buy as my father will be over there too.

My budget in case you are interested is 11000 Euro's max, so as I want somewhere with at least 2000m3 of land and a solid house. Modernisation is something I can do myself and to begin with an outside loo will remind me of my childhood as that's all we had back then too lol

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:26 pm 
Post subject:

2000 cubic metres - that's a fair pile of mud.... Wink

Given your Forum ID, are you thinking of keeping livestock or something along those lines? 2000m2 is a lot of land if you just want a garden and an allotment: my in-laws produce more fruit and veg than they - and we - can get through every year on around 350m2. I've seen no end of folk getting carried away at the idea of a large area of land that's all theirs but, as with so many things, unless you really have serious plans for a big plot, "less is more", that amount needs a heck of a lot of work to keep it under control.... Smile

flyingcowman
All Grown Up
All Grown Up

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:40 am 
Post subject:

Well I'm back from a most enlightening trip!

Yes you are right that I am from a farming background and as such prefer somewhere with a modicum of land. My wife has always had horse so, whilst 2000m3 isn't really enough it would suffice. More would be better!
I suppose the biggest problem is the intervening three or four years before we actually move out ourselves, but certainly with one of the houses I looked at, the neighbour is using the garden with the present owners permission. I'd be happy for that, but wonder if they then get automatic rights to the land after a certain period?

As for the places I viewed? Well let's just say that one of the two agents showed me completely different properties to those requested except one. That one was a lot different to the pictures shown on the site which must have been taken about 10 years ago! The other agent seemed (IMHO) more trustworthy and honest as the property was just as described warts and all. That one, I would certainly consider, but will be going back for a more relaxed search including other areas, at the end of April.

Loved my first (brief) impressions of the country and people though.

You certainly live and learn!

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:28 am 
Post subject:

Glad you enjoyed your trip, despite the weather.... Wink

Some people have kept horses here pretty successfully, I believe, but I have also heard of a couple of folk whose horses "disappeared". The story - quite likely, in my view - is that they were "liberated" by the local ethnics who have a penchant for all things equine and/or not nailed down. Cool It's probably not a huge danger but you do need to be aware of the possibility - I imagine that Mrs FCM wouldn't be too happy if that were to happen.

If a neighbour is using the garden of a house that you want to buy then you need to make it a condition of the sale that the vendor gives them notice, preferably in writing with a copy signed by both neighbour and vendor annexed to the Notary Act, that this arrangement ends when the sale goes through. The neighbour won't be too surprised, as it's a fairly normal thing when a property is sold. You can reach an understanding with the neighbour if you want them to keep an eye on the place but it should be a new arrangement rather than a continuation of the old one and you need to make it crystal clear that it's only a temporary thing and will end when you move in permanently.

You really need to do your homework, to make sure that you aren't buying in a village with too many "problem neighbours", which can range from junkie-burglars to light-fingered tsigani to, sadly, expat riffraff. It's always good to get to know a few areas, if only to confirm that you've chosen the one that suits you best, according to whatever your important criteria are: buying is easy but selling again if you've made a mistake is a lot tougher... Wink

If you need any advice - always to be taken with a pinch of salt, since opinions, experience and standards vary - you only have to ask and you'll doubtless get plenty of differing views! Very Happy

flyingcowman
All Grown Up
All Grown Up

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:27 am 
Post subject:

Well we've only gone and done it! as Delboy would say Smile

We have bought (well we are buying as its in the process) a house 20km from Silistra. It's a beautiful house that is sound and in livable condition but needs modernising. It has a 800m3 vineyard and is set in 4000m3 altogether.

I have to go back in a month to six weeks to finalise and can't wait Smile

All the best Ivan

plevenite
In The Prime
In The Prime

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:28 am 
Post subject:

Well done! I hope all goes well for you.  
flyingcowman
All Grown Up
All Grown Up

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:00 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Smile  
Stevesuffolk
Toddler
Toddler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:52 pm 
Post subject:

Hey How you doing ?  
tonytg806
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:52 pm 
Post subject:

Stevesuffolk wrote:
Hey How you doing ?

It has certainly gone quiet from him since....

flyingcowman
All Grown Up
All Grown Up

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:37 am 
Post subject:

From who? Me? I'm still here lol  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Bulgaria Forum Index -> New To ‘In Bulgaria’? Introduce Yourself Here! All times are GMT
 Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Page 2 of 2