InBg Chat Room  

Calendar  
<< December 2019 >>

M T W T F S S

In Bulgaria: Forums   

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups    ProfileProfile   ProfileMember List
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back in the UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Bulgaria Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoomzoom
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:01 am 
Post subject: Back in the UK

Hi Mod & Members, well here I am a couple of months on from leaving BG and apart from some problems after arriving, I'm not doing too bad and thought I'd give you all something to read lol.
I went with a 'removal company' that I'd heard lots of good reports about and no bad ones. Unfortunately, it was the wrong decision.

Their version, the load is measured as they charge per cubic metre. Will take approximately a week to get here. Things are placed exactly where the client wants.

My experience, I thought the load would be measured in front of me when loaded. When I mentioned this, the response was that I saw them load the truck, so not sure what I mean about measuring. Rolling Eyes I thought it was plain enough.
Delivery took 2 weeks (it was in storage for a week in the UK) but as I was staying with a friend, they didn't think this would be a problem. Rolling Eyes
My things arrived on a van & trailer (not loaded on this in BG) and not a problem until I saw how the things were 'packed' in the van. I was told by the guy in BG (who didn't see how the van was loaded) that it was very packed to justify how many cubic metres they charged for. What I saw were some fairly large gaps and some boxes at an angle.

One of the guys seemed to want the load off asap and was not taking notice of where I told him things should go. I was told, he will be spoken to and his job is to place things as I wish and if it was unacceptable to me, they would be more than happy to come to some arrangement with me but that was 4 weeks ago, I've heard nothing since and don't expect to.
I believe where it was in storage must have been damp because a couple of the boxes were a bit damp, one was so damp, the top had come away completely and the box was placed upside down so I didn't realise it without anything being said to me.
Even worse was that one of my freezers was full of black mould. There was one small breakage which I wasn't too concerned about, so didn't mention that but as I left my display cabinets behind and have to get one, not everything is unpacked yet, so I hope my beloved display items are in tact.
What I did find amusing is the guy who didn't place items where they should go, when he took the money, he said if I ever wanted to return to BG, you know where we are.
Yeah right, I don't think so. Laughing
Considering they call themselves professional on their website and how long they have been doing it, I would have expected much better. I didn't find them professional at all.

erehwon
Matured Member
Matured Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:22 pm 
Post subject:

Hi zoomzoom!

Sorry to hear that all didn't go as smoothly as you would have wished, but sadly, that is often the way of the world nowadays, whichever company it may have been, and the current philosophy of many companies is to rip people off/provide poor service as much as they can get away with - They often also use underpaid sub-contractors whenever possible as a buffer and an 'excuse'.

It sounds like the guy who ultimately delivered your stuff wasn't too happy either - but maybe that was just to aid the 'smoke and mirrors' of avoiding/dissipating blame, no matter how sincere he may have appeared at the time.

I did a similar total relocation quite a few years ago, but from Russia to BG - and I dealt with all the packing myself because it was 'cheaper, more honest and reliable' Smile My circumstances were also quite different from yours and I dealt directly with a man-and-a-van owner/driver from Russia and got a fixed price for the whole transportation service, including fuel. It was then up to me to load the 15m3 van as best I could with his help - but needless to say it was well overloaded by the time I finished. But we arrived safely in BG, with me doing the majority of the driving on the way to BG, although I didn't have to. He then did the 2+day drive back to northern Russia solo.

Horses for courses, I know - but that experience was just one time that I have relocated. The all-in cost for me was 1500 euros for that one and I shifted 2.5 tonnes of personal stuff to BG.

Some of the more established removal companies quoted in excess of 6,000 euros at the time - and that was some years ago!

Anyway - thanks for your report and it's good to know you got there and I hope it all pans out OK for you in the UK

All the best!

erehwon

tonytg806
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:36 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Zoom Zoom,
Glad to hear you in the UK with the majority of your possessions intact. How are you finding living in the UK now. Better than expected or worse? What has made you wonder about returning to the UK?

When we moved over we enquired with the professional movers and the quotes were horrendously expensive. In the end I'd mentioned it to a BG friend and he had a articulated lorry come over that did a delivery then came to us. We hired the whole lorry for €2000 and boy did we fill it as we brought everything! Family and friends helped load it (the driver sat on his hands so missed out on a over generous tip, with knowledge learned since) and it took a week to get there which allowed us to vote to remain and then an easy drive over. Nothing got broken or went missing, but we did hire locals to help unload. We've moved about since, but the first move was a novelty and I'd never use the supposed professionals either.

Nice to hear from you Erewhon too![sup]

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:39 am 
Post subject:

Glad to hear you're okay, ZZ - looking forward to when you decide to bring it all back here again.... Wink

Feel free to name-and-shame the "removers", by PM if you prefer: it's always good to know who to avoid in these situations.

Cliff
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:54 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Zoomzoom, I guess that if the move was 95% successful then its more or less ok. I hope the UK is up to expectations, although this forum is rather quiet these days we will all be looking to see how you are getting on and wishing you the best.  
zoomzoom
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:37 am 
Post subject:

Hi Guys, thank you for the replies and good wishes.
Seedy, I didn't name & shame the "removers" yet as I wanted Mod's approval to do so but it is a "company" that has had excellent reviews on this forum and other places.
The reason for using inverted commas is because having used them, I found they are not a company that do removals as a living and speaking as a road haulage manager in a previous life, it seemed to me they are playing at it, even though they have been doing it a long time.

Tony, not sure if you know, my partner passed away nearly 3 years ago. My house in BG was huge and I was finding the house and and the Winters harder to cope with after having 3 falls but it was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make, it took about 2 years to finally make up my mind. Even after I agreed to buy this house, there were a few times I wondered whether to go ahead with it. I came back to where I lived most of my life, so I already knew people but 2 things bothered me, what the neighbours would be like as the house in BG was detached and this is terraced and the violence I had read about in the UK. Luckily the neighbours both sides of me seem okay. A few things are done differently to when I lived here before, some of which I knew and some I didn't but no better or worse than expected.
I think it will be easier for me to manage here but I did like BG and part of my heart will always be there especially with the amazing family who 'adopted' me into their family.
Did not expect their 16 year old son to say he misses me and wished I was his grandma even though he's got 2 already and having no children I am delighted to be his adopted grandma. Very Happy but it does tug at the heartstrings.

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:07 am 
Post subject:

Yeah, it's amazing (or is it?) how many foreign-owned (mainly British) "companies" there are here in BG who aren't registered, pay no taxes, have no insurance, don't follow the relevant laws (especially the vast majority of the "food shippers/suppliers" - I only know of one which is 100% kosher but they struggle to compete with the cowboys because their customers don't give a $h1t about the law or the possibility of food poisoning, as long as they can save a lev or two).

Perhaps the only good thing about Brexit will be if all the EU authorities tighten up their checks on Brits and UK vehicles transporting food and other goods across their borders....

krysia
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:49 am 
Post subject:

Hi ZZ...good to see your posting and know you are back there safe
I wonder tho why you wait for "Mods " permission as you put it to name your crappy removers...as they have such good reviews from people you could stop one of us from going threw the same crap if you did !!!

TheMod
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

Nice to have an update from you zoomzoom.

By all means name and shame. Wink

tonytg806
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:57 pm 
Post subject:

zoomzoom wrote:
Hi Guys, thank you for the replies and good wishes.
Seedy, I didn't name & shame the "removers" yet as I wanted Mod's approval to do so but it is a "company" that has had excellent reviews on this forum and other places.
The reason for using inverted commas is because having used them, I found they are not a company that do removals as a living and speaking as a road haulage manager in a previous life, it seemed to me they are playing at it, even though they have been doing it a long time.

Tony, not sure if you know, my partner passed away nearly 3 years ago. My house in BG was huge and I was finding the house and and the Winters harder to cope with after having 3 falls but it was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make, it took about 2 years to finally make up my mind. Even after I agreed to buy this house, there were a few times I wondered whether to go ahead with it. I came back to where I lived most of my life, so I already knew people but 2 things bothered me, what the neighbours would be like as the house in BG was detached and this is terraced and the violence I had read about in the UK. Luckily the neighbours both sides of me seem okay. A few things are done differently to when I lived here before, some of which I knew and some I didn't but no better or worse than expected.
I think it will be easier for me to manage here but I did like BG and part of my heart will always be there especially with the amazing family who 'adopted' me into their family.
Did not expect their 16 year old son to say he misses me and wished I was his grandma even though he's got 2 already and having no children I am delighted to be his adopted grandma. Very Happy but it does tug at the heartstrings.

Hi Zoom Zoom,

I did know about the loss of your husband and I thank you for your honest and personal answer. I've often wondered about why people really go back and how they find it. I'm not sure I would have acted differently in your shoes. I guess I'll never know until I am there, or not. Thank you any way and we wish you well in your new home.

zoomzoom
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:09 pm 
Post subject:

Seedy, by using them, I found they don't seem to have any vehicles of their own.
To load, they hired a BG registered lorry with BG driver. To deliver, they hired a trailer which he told me cost him £75, seeing as I paid for the removal, I don't see how it cost him and I don't think even the van they used to deliver belonged to them.
Incidentally, besides calling themselves professional on their website, they also state they are removal experts. Laughing
It did cross my mind that maybe I was just unlucky (nothing new there then Laughing ) as things don't go right every time. The guy I was dealing with was in BG (a Brit) and didn't come over with the load. On contacting him, he said he was shocked and to say he was saddened by my comments was an understatement. Also, as previously mentioned, he was going to speak to the driver this end about not placing items where they should go and would be more than happy to come to some arrangement with me. It was because of those comments that I waited to hear from him before posting any of this but now a month later, I have heard nothing, so it seems his comments were hot air.

Hi K, nice to hear from you. The reason I was waiting for Mod's approval is because I didn't know if it would be allowed to name them but you have a very good point about why they should be named plus Mod has now confirmed it's okay, so here goes.
UK2BG.co.uk
Not to be confused with any other company of a similar name.

Tony,one Brit I met in BG came back because he just couldn't hack it, didn't even speak to any of his BG neighbours which I found quite odd. Others have posted that they have come back for the NHS, so people seem to come back for various reasons.

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:47 am 
Post subject:

ZZ, given your experience you might consider reviewing the removers on Trustpilot, just to make others aware that they need to be careful when dealing with them - just click on the link below.

Write Review

krysia
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:59 am 
Post subject:

Oh ZZ I am really shocked...Glyn and Matt then Tina ...started this up yonks ago..and really were the best at it , vety proffesional ...I never hesitated to recomend Glyns firm
Not been in contace now for a long time

I wonder if the original peeps are still in charge,,,by your experience I would think not

zoomzoom
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:48 am 
Post subject:

K, I'd not used them before but I knew they had been doing it for many years and I'd heard so many good things about them, so I thought the service would be professional and which is why I waited until they could fit me in.
It was Glynn and a younger chap who loaded but didn't come over with the load.
This end it was Glynn's brother Darren who contacted me by phone but again didn't come with the load. It was only these two who were in contact with me, so I have no idea who Matt & Tina are.
If Glynn had come to some arrangement with me, which he said he would be more than happy to do, even though I had not asked for it or even apologised, none of this would have been posted in the first place but he's obviously had second thoughts about it probably thinking he'll never see me again but he shouldn't bank on that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Bulgaria Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1